Monday, April 4, 2011

You just never know...

My 36 year old cousin Laurel passed away just as our plane wheels touched down in Port-Au=Prince, after a battle with metastatic breast cancer. She died on 3.31.11. Later that day I got online to find that Rose, one of my lettuce customers also battling cancer, has been put on hospice care as well. That evening we welcomed a new life into the world. A sweet little boy whose mama had lost her only other baby. She sang him out, through her pain. The circle of life-death and birth repeated again. Being in Haiti reminds me how fragile things are...how it is a miracle that any of us survive. And yet gives me hope...

The day we arrived I got out of the car and first saw Djenie (one of the teen moms, with her son Kenny-always glued to her hip), she said “How are you? How is your family? Your mom?” etc—this is a typical Haitian greeting. Then she said something that surprised me “Thank you for sending me the book of photos” (I had put together a mac photo book of picture of Kenny's birth and first year of life). She did not say “when are you coming over” or “what did you bring me”, she said “Thank you”! In a world of poverty where having “not enough” creates issues with hording, fighting and a demand for 'things', this simple acknowledgment of thanks/gratitude spoke volumes to me about what is happening at the Harbor House. To read more about it or get involved, go here: http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2011/03/harbor-house-people-place.html

It has been amazing and humbling and beautiful to see the growth that has happened in the lives of these girls in the 2+ months since we were last in Haiti. Not that there isn't drama—these are teens, with babies—but I can really see them growing, maturing, learning...and craziest of all, doing it together.

A few days ago I took a fairly involved art project over to the Harbor House. One where they had to share supplies and paint. I wasn't sure how it would go. I saw one fight coming and intervened early, and all was well. Every single one of them finished the project, while sharing supplies, smiling!! That may seem like a small thing to most of you, but to me, it was GWO (big)! They are learning to share, they are learning that there will be “enough” (they don't need to hoard things for the day there isn't enough) and my heart was encouraged. It's still a difficult road ahead for these girls, but I have so much hope for them!

My buddy Rosemond, who the students from Eagle Rock Elementary have been writing to, send me some “Grandma mail” today. He put some drawings in a special plastic box and sent them with his grandmother to work today (she works at the place where I am living). It just blessed my heart to see these carefully colored pictures, placed securely in this plastic box. I'm sending it home with his grandmother tomorrow with a note and some photos from December. I don't think I will see him on this trip, but I like that he's initiated a connection. It is humbling how loved I feel by the people of Haiti. They give generously of what they have. They make me want to be a more generous giver...

Today I pulled out some oranges from my farmers market for the workers to try. It was really sweet to see their reactions. Oranges in the US are much sweeter than oranges here—Cherline said “It's like candy”! :) Super cute. Then she pulled out the goat head that was boiling in the pot next to me. Not so cute. But even so, I like that we are learning about each others' food and sharing the sortof ordinary details of our lives.

Today we went to the embassy, the grocery store, and looked at various medical issues going on at the Harbor House. It was perhaps the most productive morning I've ever had in Haiti. Usually a trip to the embassy is a day in and of itself. We didn't get what we hoped for regarding the adoption of Sarah's niece and nephew but we did get the contact information for someone state-side who can help.

We then did an HIV test for a little boy...it was negative! And as we were finishing that up, a lady came to the gate in labor. She has 5 boys at home. A few hours later, a beautiful baby girl entered the world. There was much celebration and rejoicing! Then some famous photographer lady came by to take pictures of the mama and baby. An hour or so after that, the presidential election results were announced and the world around us erupted in cheering. Everyone in Haiti seems happy. And that makes me happy. If there's anyone in the world who deserve a night of happiness—it's the people of Haiti! I hope they can milk it for a full week of happiness!! And a couple of people I know and love share this birth day--with that tiny baby girl and with this new chapter in the life of Haiti. There is much to be celebrated tonight (And I like it when there is overlap between my worlds! :) )

After the birth and all the celebrating, we had a wonderful conversation with Cookie the midwife. She told us that there is no Creole word for “overwhelmed”. There is just no place to even acknowledge that sort of thing in this culture. It reminded me how language develops according to cultural norms/needs. I just found it interesting. We sent this new mama home to her husband and 5 boys, on a crazy election night. She was beaming and happy. I couldn't help but think, if I were in her shoes, I might be a little 'overwhelmed'!

I also went over to Harbor House to do a few more crafts tonight--we watched Tommy Walker's DVD "Heal our Land" and the girls kept asking if he was in Haiti. (It's a DVD of his time in Africa at various worship venues). It was really interesting to see their reactions and hear their questions. And they sang along whenever they could. We were also working on some stained glass butterflies and "Sparkle/Bling Runway" models as the DVD played and their babies toddled/crawled around...and the irony of all this was not lost on me.

I'm off for an early morning run tomorrow-and looking forward to it. Photos will have to wait for another day as they take about a bah-jillion hours to upload.

It's been another great day in Haiti. The time is going by too fast...and you just never know what a day will hold :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for sharing all the details and taking me to Haiti with you today. I hear what you are saying about the circle of life and death - always a reality to balance. I've been thinking about it too. Enjoy your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so inspiring, all that you are doing. It's good for my heart to hear. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to write and share your days. Wow. The Lord give you strength, courage, wisdom and increasing joy in your moments there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, a thoughtful commentary. keep up the good work. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,

    I just spent an hour going through my Kleenex and getting lost in your blog and heart for Haiti. Obviously you are blessed to be a blessing in your ministry. Yay God! :) Jen VM

    ReplyDelete