Sunday, January 8, 2012

12.31.11-A great way to spend the last day of the year


We were able to make it to see Augustine this morning. We found our way there on our own (with Josh from the Guesthouse)—which was awesome! And were recognized and welcomed and loved on by many of the workers whom we have known for over a decade now.

Augustine is a little eight year old girl that I fell in love with seven years ago. She had been admitted to Mama T’s the week we arrived with our first group from CA weighing 5 lbs at just over a year old. I was certain she would die and made it my goal to help that process be as comfortable as possible. Each day O and I would bathe her with this grape smelling soap and then lather her in scabies medications—she was itching constantly. And I left that trip so mad about her life, about how unjust things were for her and how it’s such a crap-shoot where any of us und up being born. I was certain she wouldn’t survive. Now here she is, in the middle of her third go-round of Kindergarten (she’s not the sharpest tool in the shed). And God has used this little one to teach me so many things about Him, about myself and about true life.

So yesterday, as I held her and she was talking up a storm, my heart was overflowing. It is not often that I get to hold faithfulness in my arms, it is not often that I can feel an answer to the deepest prayers of my heart. And the thing about Augustine, is that I don’t love her because she the smartest, cutest, most well behaved kid in all of Haiti. I love her because for whatever reason God planted those seeds in my heart so many years ago. I love her little voice, her crooked teeth, the way she points with her middle finger. I love that she’s so creative and naughty and always tries to sweet talk me into breaking the Sister’s rules. I love her because we both have a slightly obsessive attraction to all things shiny (Side tangent: she was LOVING the sparkly Christmas Decorations this year. Her enthusiasm for them really made me love Christmas more—they just made her so happy and were a constant source of conversation and joy. Something so small, so shiny, so full of delight!! Ahh I love this girl) And it’s not what Augustine does or will do that makes me love her, it’s who she is…and my little workaholic self needs to be reminded that God feels the same way about me. Augustine is a tangible reminder to me of what that love looks like-snaggle teeth and all!


We did a little drawing, just Augustine, Jonni (a sweet and tender little 6 year old boy) and myself. After we were invaded by the other older kids (escapees) we went down to the school with the older kids. I played basketball with a football (a new first for me) while holding “Ti Tine” (Augustine’s affectionate nickname). And I felt like my heart could possible burst open with all the love I felt. I don’t know why this happens, or what it is about being there, but really truly my heart overflows there.

The other inspiring thing was to see that the Sisters are rebuilding! The foundation and some of the walls to the new Children’s Home are up and it was ice to see that project started after almost two years of rubble…


As we were driving back from Mama T’s, we decided to go out for lunch at a restaurant we had never been to-also a first in Haiti. It was a process (parking, ordering, changing money-they wouldn’t accept my bill because it was torn, neither would the money changers in the store below). But there was something so satisfying about being there, speaking the language, figuring things out, and being successful, that was so incredibly gratifying and empowering.

You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore. Ps 16:11

1 comment:

  1. I'm finally getting around to reading your blog! Love, love, love that you went to the MC's. Your description of Augustine is perfect. I can hear her raspy laugh when I close my eyes and it makes me smile! Were the pics from this trip? Looks like Johnny from last year, in the pic w/ O. If you have more pictures of the new Children's Home, will you email them to me please. Mesi anpil :)

    ReplyDelete