Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Unnecessary Trash

I’ve thought a lot about how to write this post, and I still don’t know how to do it well… I don’t want to NOT do it, so I’m starting here, right in the middle of the mess:
(Photo of used underwear, bras, and *brand new shoulder pads* donated for women at the Heartline Maternity Center in Haiti)

First, confession time: I am guilty. I want to save some of you reading this post from this same guilt. And I want to honor and love the Haitian people, while educating us all on something that happens often but is just not ok…

Let me back up a little. The first four days of this New Year were very busy with births at the Heartline Maternity Center (This is the organization where I am now volunteering in post-earthquake Haiti). We slept very little and labored during several loooong hours with painful, beautiful, frightened, strong mamas. Each birth was different and lovely and had a happy ending with a healthy baby boy! (Here’s to 2012 being the year of the boys! Woohoo!)

Anyway, since I’m not medical and don’t know much about birth, I spent many hours- and by many, I mean easily over 100 hours- helping get things organized and sorting through donations: soft new baby blankets, packets of colorful matching onesies, and tiny baby socks. In some ways it was like a south of the border Babies R Us. I love tiny things, but tiny matching things for babies...love multiplied!

But, on a different note, many of the donations I sorted through were things that weren’t asked for and don’t really belong at a birth center. Donations which arrived on their doorstep, in a collage of random assorted medical & baby & clothes items. Donations that were not requested and consequently were put into a corner because the energy required to sort through them was not available to the person on the receiving end that day. Things like tracheotomy kits (not too many of trach’s happening at the birth center these days…um, or ever), used dirty underwear, baby clothes stained with spit up, and old scrubs embroidered with other people’s names. Some dear soul even took the time to organize her old rusty barrettes and put them in a used tic-tac container secured with a rubber band. I imagine her heart swelled at the thought of someone receiving this “gift”…

So let me pause here and say, I know people sending donations have good intentions. I know it makes them feel good. And at the risk of some of you deciding never again to give anything away, I want to say as politely as possible, Haiti doesn’t need your junk.

The missionaries I know who are living in Haiti don’t have the time to sort through your suitcase of random expired medications, partially used medical equipment, baby bottles (they teach exclusive breastfeeding there), and the like. And even if they DID have the time to sort through these regularly arriving suitcases, there are 1000 other things they could and should be doing with their time and energy and ability to speak Creole. That being said, there are things that are genuinely needed in Haiti. And if you truly want to give “stuff” when you come, I’d encourage you contact the organization you are going to serve with, and find out exactly what is needed to bring, and (here's the hard part when your friend offers you her bag of old baby clothes, or you pass by that tiny display of baby nylons and want to pick up a few pairs because they are soooo cute) stick to that list exclusively.

Doctor Jen, who routinely saves lives and has many gifts and skills to benefit people in Haiti, spent several days cleaning cabinets with me. She found some medication that expired in 1992. Not only is that scary, it is such a waste of storage space and time. And then we are faced with the decision about whether to a) throw it away in Haiti-- knowing someone will probably go through the trash and try to use it, possibly making themselves or someone else sick-- or b) pack it back up in our suitcase to throw away in the States. Does that seem like a crazy waste of time and energy and suitcase space to anyone else? Aside from making me crazy, I’ll admit it makes me angry (and it might get me arrested for 'drug trafficking' in customs some day!)

Heartline does an amazing job of loving the women in their program. One small way they show love and respect to these women, is to gift them with a birth pack once their baby has arrived. This pack has NEW items in it—probably the first, never-worn-by-other-people items that some of these families have ever owned.

Put yourself on the receiving end in either of these scenarios: First, imagine yourself as a Heartline staff member. Working hard day in and day out just to get the job done, to love the people around you, to be faithful to God as you make impossible decisions, and to take care of your family and life amidst the challenge of living in a city with very little infrastructure. Now imagine the number of times they encounter a short term team member who says “I brought something for you”. And since it is already there in Haiti, a suitcase filled with random, un-asked-for “donations”, they have graciously said “yes” to something they knowingly didn’t need, in order respect this visitor and then put it away in a corner for “some day” when they have the time to sort through the ziplocks full of randomly sized Band-Aids and assorted tubes of partially used creams. (I even found stuffed in a corner, an earthquake kit with a partially used tube of toothpaste. People, can we really not spend the $1.00 to buy a brand new tube for someone that just lost everything and survived a major catastrophe? Sheesh.)

Second, imagine yourself as a new mom. Your precious perfect baby has arrived. You don’t have much, but you are proud to take your baby out and show her off in the best clothes you have. (Haitians are incredibly clean and well dressed people—in spite of the many obstacles that they face.) Imagine, as you are leaving the birth center, the nursing staff gives you a bag of donated items to start your new life with your new baby. Imagine opening the bag and finding stained and holey baby clothes, a hat three sizes too big crocheted with black and red yarn that “needed to be used up”-for your baby. Would you put your baby in them? Would you use someone’s old nursing bra, stained and smelling of someone else’s milk? Maybe for some of you the answer is “Yes”. I come from a Dutch family that reuses ziplock bags…we know a little something about using every last thread of an item before buying something new. I get it.

But at the same time, when the Gospel tells us to “Love God with all our heart, and love our neighbor as ourselves”, I don’t think it’s telling us to give our ‘neighbors’ in Haiti the things we are ready to discard. Partially used medical equipment that would be discarded in the US, should be discarded in the US…not flown to Haiti in the name of “donations” to be thrown away there. Leftover prescription medications should never be sent (or brought) to Haiti, unless you have clear instructions to the contrary from the organization to which you are planning to donate the medication.

So please, before you -or anyone else you know- fills up your suitcase with items to "donate", make sure they are really truly needed. Make sure they are not taking away jobs or income for local Haitians (one example: http://apparentproject.blogspot.com/2011/08/peanut-butter-and-shelley.html). Make sure that you are not making MORE work for missionaries by bringing things they can’t use. And, whenever possible, bring items that are NEW!
(Don't you want the BEST for these ladies?!)

I am sure this is offensive to some people reading. Before you comment, please read “When Helping Hurts” by Steve Corbett or “Toxic Charity” by Steven Bush. I started off by saying I am guilty of this. Truth be told, as I bought new towels on Sunday, the thought crossed my mind to store my old towels in the garage to take down to Haiti next time. BUT, thankfully, God is still working on my heart. And the better gift I can give, is, first to confirm that towels are needed and bring my NEW ones down to donate (they will certainly last longer- and therefore be more useful- than my old towels) OR save that space in my suitcase and fill it with love. What I mean by that is keep the space in my suitcase AND in my heart open, so that I am not sorting through “stuff” down there--when I could be spending time with Haitian people, loving them and being loved in return.

So I want to end with this thought. People living in poverty don’t waste much. They are used to making the best of any situation or donation. But it’s the folks in the middle (usually the long term missionaries—who have the awkward and time consuming job of determining what can be saved/given out/thrown away). So lets do everyone a favor and band together to give people living in Haiti (or wherever you serve) the BEST that we have. New items, made well, that will be passed from family to family to family, and used over and over again. Lets honor them by loving them, as we would love ourselves. If we wouldn’t be excited to receive it as a gift, why should they? If it would be discarded here, lets do just that, and not pack it up to be thrown away in a country with no garbage system. I think together we can serve the missionaries and the people on the receiving end of our charity well, if we truly begin to practice “loving our neighbors in Haiti, as we love ourselves”.

And in the end, let’s remember that its relationships that change lives…not stuff. Even stuff that is useful. Especially at Christmas time, I am reminded that in the midst of all the gifts and ‘stuff’ of life, God came to us…as a person, a baby, to be in relationship…and since that time the world has never ever been the same. Lets follow THAT example!

For further education check out these posts by Heartline staff members:
http://ryanandmelissaalberts.com/1308/haitian-disaster-relief-conference/

http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2012/01/reposting-from-summer-of-09.html

Or this one:
http://talesfromethehood.com/2010/05/29/american-culture-101-more-blessed/

26 comments:

  1. Whew! Amen to this post, Sarah! I have often grappled with this same issue. I'm remembering a day last summer when group of about 15 Haitians and my hubby & I went through a container sent from the U.S. with lots of "random stuff." Oh wow. Lots of energy and time to sort through and try to even explain to our Haitian friends what they could use these things for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sarah really well written and dead on point. love you and your honest heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, even in the USA people donate items and then want a tax receipt! Give it away freely or throw it away freely. We have so much stuff!
    Grace and Peace to you, dear Sarah.
    I Love You,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true-having spent weeks of my life in Haiti sorting through donated stuff and throwing out truckloads I say AMEM. Added insult, when the items are shipped into Haiti and not brought by visitors is having to pay shipping and customs for unneeded items. Thank you for taking the time to write this post. Dr. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good educational stuff Sarah. After all, unless even good well meaning people are told otherwise they will keep making the same well intentioned mistakes. Mind you, I, like you, don't really get why anyone would think that their worn out, dirty, tired junk is going to be received as a love gift by someone else - no matter how poor they might be. Send what's needed - new if you can! AMEN.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this truth in this way! Reading When Helping Hurts changed my heart and mind on so many of these issues, but sometimes it's hard to know what to do once you have seen the errors of the old ways. Thank you for practical suggestions on what to do instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you spoke of this!!! Thank you. ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right on! Thank you for explaining this so carefully and honestly. I would love to put a link on my blog to this post, if that's okay?! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopped over via the Livesays. I have been challenged much in the last 3 years or so regarding my thoughts on missions and helping. Your post is a great challenge to be as useful as we can regardless of who we are serving be it in America or broad. I always have boxes in my basement for places in the US and places in Haiti and I am happy to be a drop off point for my friends who have stuff. What gets tricky for me is that I am the type of person who hates to throw anything that has value away (good stuff that has life in it, not crappy stuff...who sends dirty or holey items? I know people do because I've sorted many load of donations but that is so wrong!). So it is easy to assume someone, somewhere will use it. I appreciated how you gently shared reminder about how this affects the way missionaries can steward their time. It is not as "fun" for me to read through list and stick to the list when it comes to the needs of ministries, especially when I have a pile of stuff that I already have that I want to find a home for. But we as givers have to remember it's not about "fun" and what makes us feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Thanks for sharing your heart.

    Reminds me of 2 instances in my life ...

    #1 We spent 6 weeks in Ghana, while adopting 3 children. We saw African children in the remote village wearing donated turtle necks. Seriously! It was 100 degrees out and they were wearing turtlenecks. This is an example of what NOT to donate to a ministry in Ghana.

    #2 When my older kids were little, we had friends with children the same ages. However, we often got "hand-me-downs" from these friends. It's not that their children had outgrown the clothes. No. They regularly gave us their "junk" ... the stuff they wanted to get rid of ... the old, stained, dirty hand-me-downs that someone had given them.

    Now, I am not at all against hand-me-downs; and my 12 children have been blessed by some beautiful "slightly used" clothing. But, I am TIRED of being on the receiving end of other people's junk. Just. Plain. Tired. of it.

    When I have hand-me-downs to give, I pull out the very best to offer to my friends. When I have homeschool books to pass along, I ask my friends to come "shop" at my house, rather than handing them a box of books that they will then have to sort through.

    Thanks again for challenging us to give the very BEST ... the Haitians deserve it.


    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a very necessary post to write, and very well written at that. I, too, have had experience with this type of thing when my husband and I lived and ministered in Kenya from 2008-2012. It's so frustrating. There's a story where people actually donated used tea bags.. seriously used (!!!) tea bags. C'mon, people!
    Anyway, found this link through The Livesays. Thanks for writing it and challenging those of us who read it. I pray it will be used to change hearts!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. {And sorry, that last post should read from 2008-2010.. oops} :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true! In fact twice now I have seen donated clothing sorted through and piles of winter coats, sweatshirts, and size XXL discarded in huge piles along with tattered, stained, and frayed clothing. Winter coats in Haiti? Come on people! However this isn't just seen in Haiti. In fact I have sorted through clothing at our local clothing and food pantry and seen some donations whose wear and tear plus stink would offend a dumpster. I'm with you, let's give our best! (even if it does hurt our pocket book a little)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll start by saying that I have been extremely guilty of bringing loads of "stuff" without checking to see if those things were actually needed. It feels really good to give.:) I have also experienced the ridiculous donations of dirty or worn items being donated to my Children's Home. That's insulting!! Since reading you post I've done a lot of thinking. My friends follow Tara's blog and they also read your comments. It may not be politically correct but I feel compelled to comment on certain aspects. First, I often bite my tongue when I hear people bringing up expired meds You pointed out that you're not a medical professional but I assure you that medical people are just as uneducated about the reality of expired drugs. I am a physician and I decided to do some research of the literature. I can quote all the sources if you'd like them but the facts are this: 1)there's only one case of someone purported to have died from taking an expired med (reported in JAMA and highly contested). Drugs merely lose their potency, they don't become harmful. 2)The expiration date is only the date the manufacturer guarantees full potency. Across the board medical authorities say it's safe to take drugs past their expiration date no matter how long they've been expired. 3) Very few manufacturers test their drugs beyond 4 years because it's not economically feasible to do so. Having said that, there are a few exceptions such as nitroglycerin, insulin, and some liquid antibiotics. I absolutely hate waste in this world and it bothers me to know that perfectly good meds are tossed (and yes, I'm talking even 10 years past the expiration date). I also have issues with the idea of having to have "new" items for clothing. I grudgingly do this for organizations that request it but just as I was unaware of the mistakes I was making, I believe this is a mistake from organizations. To get the most bang for my buck I buy bargains from Walmart, Target, etc.to donate. Why do you think those clothes are less expensive? Poor wages or child labor from other countries. I can't always afford it but I try to buy American made clothes just for that reason. I don't want to contribute to the exploitation of women and children. Donating well made used clothing is much better than donating cheaply made items that are new (i.e.-getting a gently used high end car rather than a new cheaper car). I also read the book When Helping Hurts and it applies to people throughout the world, not just a particular country. I'm sure everyone will not agree with me but I do think it's important to hear other perspectives. It keeps us thinking! Just so I'm clear, I LOVE Heartline and the people who work there. I'm blessed to have met them!!! It will say Paul sent this but I have to be honest, it's Dawn C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment, you articulated so well thoughts that I have had about expired meds and used clothing. (Disclaimer: I don't have any actual smarts about this.)

      Delete
    2. Haitian Government reserves the right to close down clinics and NGO organizations using expired meds. That is their policy. We'd rather not be shut down so we try to carefully adhere to their rules. That is the bigger issue for us. (Certain "used" meds are also dangerous because you cannot be sure of what they are.)

      I don't think high quality gently used items are a problem --- it is more of a heart issue than any sort of line in the sand that says "NEW ONLY" --- I just always check my own motives -- if I would put my own kids in it and use it willingly and happily -- then and only then is it good enough to be handed down to my Haitian brothers and sisters.

      I hope and pray that people wouldn't give with the "they are poor so this is good enough for them" attitude. I recognize that a lot of people care deeply that they give gifts that will bless and be useful. For that we are grateful.

      tara livesay

      Delete
  15. Someone forwarded me your blog and I am so glad that someone finally was brave enough to post something like this! We once received a 34 lb box of old white shirts ironed in boiled starch from the 1950's with all of the buttons cut off! What were they thinking?????

    I hope that people reading your blog understand that those of us who serve in Haiti really do appreciate all the gestures of kindness and generosity but that some times it would be more cost effective to discard some things and just send us the postage it would have cost to send it to save us having to pay shipping and customs fees from the states to just trash it here.

    Blessings! The babies are adoreable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being the director of a benevolence ministry, I say a heart "AMEN!" I've concluded that people just don't like to throw things away--so they "donate their junk." We don't have that problem--we gladly throw it away for them. But it takes lots of volunteer hours to sort through it all.
    I also went to Louisiana to help after Katrina and worked long, hard, HOT hours sorting through the clothing to find things the people were actually asking for. This was Louisiana in the summer, mind you. And I had to dig through coats, snow boots, prom dresses, etc. to find shorts, socks, t-shirts. I'd say 20% of it was actually usable. I came home and wrote the same blog you just wrote to inform my friends and family of the same thing. SEND NEW, GOOD, USABLE, HELPFUL, IN-SEASON things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to work for Teen Challange and would help sort through donations. When we put out the call for furniture someone actually gave us a couch that had sat in their yard for a few years.....they were "sure it could be cleaned". Our director asked them not to "give their junk to Jesus". Amazing that someone can call themselves Christians and then treat others that way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Right on...I found the same thing when I've worked with folks in Kenya - who received roller blades and hockey equipment (that's great if there weren't just dirt roads), along with old computers, moldy books, and clothes for adults at a children's school.

    You said it much more loving than I could.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made a mission trip to Romania last year to teach some crafts to Gypsy women. Spent lots of time before we went SELLING our old craft supplies that we no longer needed (and other household stuff) so that we could buy new ones to take for the ladies there.
    That's the way to take the old stuff and still make it useful to the people over there.
    While we there we did some sorting through donations that had been sent and yes, I looked at some of it and thought "you sent THAT?"

    ReplyDelete